Thursday, February 22, 2007

Season 6: Top 12 Girls


Who will be the next Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood or Katharine McPhee? Notice how I left Fantasia and Diana DeGarmo out? Fantasia was the worst Idol to ever win and Degarmo was the weakest runner up so I chose to ignore the results of season 3. But, the Top 12 women performed last night.

First up is Stephanie Edwards singing some Alicia Keys song I've never heard of. Steph has this Latoya Londonish look and sound with a Mary J vibe but ya know what? I thought she did a great job to start off the show and was much better than anything we've heard the previous night. So, to Stephanie Edwards, I applaud you. Good stuff.

Next was Amy Krebs who sung Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" which is not my favorite song. If you sing Raitt or Ethridge (Melissa), then you picked a terrible song to sing and Krebs did just that. Ouch. Her voice was like a bowl of Rice Krispies sitting in sour milk making these snap, crackle and pop sounds. There is a reason why the producers didn't show much of Amy in the earlier rounds and that showed. Amy Krebs...your time on this show is ticking.

Another girl I can't stand who wasn't featured much, if at all, in earlier rounds is Leslie Hunt. She's just this weird chick who looks like a weird version of Catherine Oxenberg and Sadie (the runner-up on this past season of "The Bachelor). Plus, she's a dog walker. And what was with that outfit? I know she was trying to be sexy but it looked like she was wearing black soccer shin guards. Okay...now for the performance. She sung Aretha Franklin's "Natural Woman" and I'm not a fan of this song especially since hearing it for years on some ladies deodorant commercial. She sung the song Ehhhh, but her voice was odd. It came off to me like it was a performance by a guest star on The Muppet Show except there were no muppets in sight. I'm not a Leslie fan.

Next came Sabrina Sloan singing another Aretha song "I never Loved A Man". Now, this was interesting for me. She has this Diana Ross hair, a Barbara Streisand nose, and Gloria Estefan face but has a Christina Aguliara-ish voice. I was impressed and I was not expecting much out of her. I think she could be a dark horse to go deep.

Antonella Barba hit the stage next. She is really good looking with that Eva Mendes look so I was hoping she would do good which would make her best friend even more jealous since I hated that girl. She sang Aerosmith's "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" which was an interesting song choice. But, it wasn't working for me despite wanting to like it. It was almost as if she was this drunk sororiety girl singing in her house. I really wanted better but I guess there wasn't much talent here.

Next up is my early female favorite - Jordin Sparks, who sang Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason". Something about this girl that I like. She has a cute look and a good personality that will carry her far. And, I like what she did with the song. It was sort of what Clay Aiken and Taylor Hicks would do. They would go thru 2/3rds of the song singing good but then the final 3rd of the song was totally powerful. Plus, she had this Beyonce'ish, Kelly Clarksonish, Christina Aguilaraish sound to her. I'm rooting for this girl to go deep and I think she can get better each week.

Following Jordin was Nicole Tranquillo. She attempted to sing Chaka Kahn's "Stay". She was having such fun out there. She was confident when she was singing. She was enjoying what she was doing. She was dancing and having a blast. But, wow, this was painful to my ears. Plus, what were those weird nasal and facial expressions when she was singing. Looked like she was having diarrhea at some points of the song. I found my self focusing on my dessert more than I was on this performance. This was really bad.

Then cam Haley Scarnato who sang Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back To Me". She has this Camille Velasco (prior season) look but with a mole and a nice rack. Celine is a tough choice to sing because no one will sing a song nearly as good as her. But, it wasn't terrible. Don't get me wrong...it wasn't great either but compared to some of the other garbage we've heard, I believe she'll survive this week's cut.

Hitting the stage was Melinda Doolittle. She sings "Since You've Been Gone" by Luthor Vandross. She has this weird look to her with a big head and no neck. Sometimes, I felt like I was watching a tall dwarf sing. However she had a really good voice. It sounded a bit like Tina Turner but what was missing was the tall long legs. So, it was a solid performance but the legs missing. Also, she has a terrible name. Sounds like a kindergarten teacher. I can just see a little kid going, "Miss Doolittle...I need to pee..."

Alaina Alexander was next to sing. She sung "Brass In Pocket" by the Pretenders. This is a song I'm not a fan of by any means. She has a cute look to her almost like a very young Mariah but the voice wasn't in the same ballpark. For me, she's a bathroom singer. She is no different than my terrible voice singing in the shower. I can see her in the bathroom putting on makeup and blowing her hair while singing and thinking she's really good, but the truth is, she really isn't.

Gina Glocksen was now in the house. She sings "All By Myself" and I can't think of who sings this song. The first 90% of her singing bored the living shit out of me. It was like she was going thru the motions. However, she belted a few great notes down the stretch to save herself. She just needs to work on singing good for an entire song.

Finally, it was Lakisha Jones turn to shine. She sung "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" from Dreamgirls. The problem I have with this is that this song is Jennifer Hudson's now. This song is going to have people make comparisons. She should have chosen a song to make her own. That being said, it was one hell of a performance. This girl can sing and was definitely the best of the night. I just hope she chooses a song next week to make her own.

So, my bottom 3 for the evening are: Amy Krebs, Nicole Tranquillo, and Antonella Barba. I believe Amy and Nicole will be heading home.

And my 6 girls to make it to the Top 12 are: Lakisha Jones, Jordin Sparks, Melinda Doolittle, Stephanie Edwards, Sabrina Sloan, and Gina Glocksen.

Let's see how these predictions hold up. Until next time...Birdman Out !

No comments: