Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Top 12 Finally Perform



Well, we are finally down to the Top 12 for American Idol Season 7. Who will take this year's crown? After three rounds of eliminations and now last night's performances, I've officially picked my final 2. But, you are gonna have to wait to read all of this other nonsense first. Last night we finally got the Beatles night that they've been trying to book for years. How did it go? Let's get started....

Syesha was first up to hit the stage. She sang "Got To Get You Into My Life" and all I was thinking was "Got To Get You Off Of The Stage." Come on. First of all, I must apologize to Nadia Turner as I compared her and Syesha. Nadia is a much better singer. Forget about LaToya, Tamayra, Vonzell, and Jordan. She's not even close to that level. She's not even as good as Lisa Tucker or season 5 and Stephanie Edwards of season 6. I thought she had more potential but I guess I thought wrong. She's a pretty girl but a pretty face, tits and ass don't win American Idol. Just ask Haley Scarnato from last season. Her voice was terrible but her nice legs got her to last 5 weeks. Syesha hit a few good notes but there was a lot of it that was a bit rough. Not the best way to start off the show. She could be in trouble this week.

Following was Chikezie. First of all, I hate those Argile vests. Get rid of that. Chikezie sings "She's a woman" and actually, he did a good job. It was different and sung well. I wasn't sure where he was going with that bluegrass sound but it was good to not hear an R&B vibe for once. At first I hated what he was doing but then I just stopped thinking to much into it and I just had fun with it. Was it a great performance? Hell no. But, it was fun. I still compare him to Rueben Studdard and he's not on that level. He's more Ricky Smith mixed with some George Huff. Still, last night's performance keeps him safe.

Next up was Ramiele and she needed a big performance after last week's lackluster showing. She sings "In My Life" and it was really boring. I just felt like she wasn't into the performance and just stood there singing a boring song while boring me in the process. I think she needed to do something more upbeat. Ramiele is a much better singing than she's shown the last 2 weeks but this could put her in danger. She definitely won't make it nearly as far as Jasmine Trias. I'm thinking I think she has Julia Demato disease - the pretty girl with an OK voice that is very forgettable. Ramiele could be in trouble as well this week.

Then came Jason "Dreadlocks" Castro. He does the guitar thing again and sang "If I Fell." I just don't get it. Someone needs to explain this guy to me. First of all, he always seems stoned or is just dumb. Then, a few of my M.L.F.s - Music Lover Friends - keep telling me that he's so Jack Johnsonish. Well, I don't know who the heck Jack Johnson is and if he and Jason Castro sound alike, then as far as I'm concerned, the both suck. I think I walked into the kitchen for a snack in the middle of his performance. If I was British, I'd call that performance "Rubbish." Again Jason, light up that doobie and hit a park with all your other unshowered, dirty, granola, guitar playing, bad singing friends. But, I still think he'll be safe unfortunately.

Next up was Carly. First of all, I'm used to the tattoo on the arm now. It totally defines her. She sings "Come Together" and did what Amanda can't do - sing a rock song and not yell it. I actually thought she was better last week but I still thought it was a great performance. This girl has such range. She can pull off a pop song but she can really pull off the rock song better than Nikki McKibbin, Ryan Starr and Kimberly Caldwell combined. She is by far more talented than any of the other girls in this year's crop.

Hitting the stage next was David Cook. If you remember back in the auditions, I had said in the middle of his performance that he could win American Idol. Well, I'm starting to really believe what I had originally thought. This was big. He was coming off an amazing performance last week of "Hello" and now was following Carly. Could he pull it off? He sung "Eleanor Rigby" and it was excellent and he didn't even need the guitar. This guy is solid and is the one male performance I really look forward to seeing each week. There is a great chance we'll be seeing him deep into May.

Then it was Brooke White's turn. She comes out and sits at the piano to sing "Let It Be" which was a great song choice for her. She's a pretty girl with a nice voice. I almost want her to have a stronger voice but she pulls off each song to the best of her ability. Simon has a total crush on this girl like he did with Christina Christian. This girl will easily make it to the Top 6 but then could run into some trouble. But, good job Brookie.

David, the stripper, Hernandez was up next. I hated the tie he was wearing. He sang "I Saw Her Standing There" and it was a bit cheesy. I like David but he's not that original. I can see a performance like that at any bar on Open Mic Night. If this guy was once a stripper, how come he doesn't dance that great on stage? You'd think he could put more into his performance. Simon hit it right on the money saying it was "corny." That corn could turn up in the feces tonight as he put himself in a position to go home.

Amanda Overmyer was next to sing. I can't stand her black hair with blonde streaks and what was up with those goofy pants. She looked like she was dressed up for a costume party. She sang, uhhh, I mean yelled "You Can't Do That" and I hated it. Was she even singing English? It was so awful that midway through the song, I fast forwarded it to the end as my ear drums couldn't take it any longer. It was that painful. I don't know why the judges like it but I'd rather have diarrhea that sit through another of her performances. She's up there with other idols I've hated - Fantasia Barrino, Paris Bennett. and Mikalah Gordon. I know she'll be safe this week as the judges like her but I hope America sees what I see.

Michael Johns took the stage next and I was hoping he would come out and rock the house as he's been a bit disappointing the past 2 weeks. He sings "Across the Universe." He does a good job but again, it was missing something. I thing it was the wrong song choice. I know he can do much better and needs to change it up a bit like he did when he sung "Bohemian Rhapsody." Michael will still be safe but he's losing points quickly. He really needs to step it up and have one of those really rememberable performances ala David Cook.

Following was Kristy Lee Cook who I was a fan of from back in the audition days. I'm starting to think that she's surviving each week due to looks and not due to musical talent. There was a girl a few years ago, Lindsey Cardinale. Remember her? Probably not. I think Kristy could be falling into that same category. She sings "Eight Days A Week" as a country song and it was pretty painful. I'm not sure if she's country or pop. The band was much louder playing their music than her voice. I think she's a candidate for the Bottom 3. Not good Kristy. There should only be one "Cook" in the competition and his first name is David.

Finally, there was David Archuleta who's been a fan favorite but how will this 16 year old do on the big stage? He sings "We Can Work It Out" and he didn't work it out. It was flat and I lost count of how many times he forgot his words. I think once the nerves were gone he ended decently but this was not a good performance. I think they'll put a scare into him tonight making him think he's eliminated but he's not going anywhere yet. Little girls will be placing calls to save him and hopefully he'll learn from this disaster.

So, who goes home? There are 4 people that should be in the bottom 3: Syesha, Kristy, David Hernandez, and Ramiele. I think Kristy gets by due to looks as horney 16 year old need a girl to drool over. So, that leaves Syesha, Hernandez, and Ramiele as the bottom 3 and Syesha should probably go home tonight.

As for the finals in May, it's gonna be David Cooke vs. Carly Smithson. Mark my word...this is your Final 2 !

Well, we shall see how it plays out. Until then, Birdman Out.

1 comment:

NJ Transit Commuter said...

First off, hi, and I'm impressed with your dedication in writing this blog every week.

Maybe Carly Smithson has a good voice, a lot of people have. But I don't like her and don't think she should be in the competition. As you may know, she already released two albums, one of which can even be downloaded on iTunes along with a video. Apparently Randy Jackson was working for MCA and was part of the team that signed her to up. They ended up spending over $2 mln producing and promoting the album, but apparently it only sold 400 copies. To me this looks very much like MCA trying to cover their losses, and not about finding undiscovered talent, which I thought was the whole idea of American Idol.