Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Top 6 Perform



Okay, another week closer to crowing a champion and this wee was the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber. First of all, how creepy looking is ALW? He looks like a combination of Mike Myers, Neil Diamond, and my 7th grade orthodontist - Dr. Harte. But, enough about Lloyd Webber...let's see how things played out last night on American Idol.

Syesha was up first singing "One Rock and Roll Too Many." This is the first time in a month she is not singing a power artist like Whitney Houston, Fantasia, or Mariah Carey. And ya know what? I still hated her performance. She has this smile that I just want to smack off her face. Yeah, she sung the song nicely and she didn't really understand that the judges comments weren't as nice as it seemed. Let me interpret. They were saying basically that she could be good on Broadway and was more comfortable in this genre. So, they are telling her that she'll NEVER win this competition and sell CDs but she could have a career on Broadway. She's a lock for the bottom three this week as far as I'm concerned. At this stage of the competition, she's not even close to some of her prior competition of years past...aka LaToya, Tamayra, and Vonzell. I always compare her to those three since they made it deep and she doesn't even come close to those three.

Jason Castro was up next and when they said that he was going to sing "Memory", I almost choked on a JuJubee. Why the hell would a pot smoking, dread lock wearing, poor singer, chose to sing one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's most memorable and famous songs that was made famous by a female voice? I think he must have toked one to many bong hits when flipping through the ALW catalog. This was awful. I just didn't understand what he was doing. I can't stand his voice and I'm sick of hearing comparison's to Jack Johnson. How many people own a Jack Jonhson CD? Right...I thought so. So, if no one buys Jack Johnson, why the heck would anyone purchase Jason Castro, (not including Mommy and daddy) unless, maybe, your first name was Fidel. This guy's ride needs to end already. This guy is this year's Jon Stevens - poor voice, bad performances, and has gone much further than he should have gone.

Brooke White was now on stage to sing "You Must Love Me". The song was a train wreck right from the start when she cued the band to start over after she flubbed it. She is coming down to the end of her ride as well. She's a pretty girl with a nice voice but I just see it as a talent show performance at her college. It's sung nicely but there are tons of blondes out there that can sing exactly the same as her. The one blonde to win American Idol was Carrie Underwood and Brooke isn't even close to that level. Hell, even Kellie Pickler was able to sing better than Brooke. I think the flub in the beginning could write her grave. I have to give her credit that she has balls for stopping the band but balls on a chick might not sit well with the American public. She's a lock for this week's bottom three.

David Archulete was now ready to sing "Think Of Me." I didn't think it was one of David's best performances. I compare him to Clay Aiken and I know Clay could have belted some of the notes much better than David. Now, don't get me wrong, it was a solid performance but I think it was far from David's best. He'll have no trouble advancing to next week but I want something more memorable next week that will WOW me. We will be at five people next week so each performance needs to have that WF - Wow Factor.

Carly Smithson hit the stage next to sing "Superstar" and all I ask of FOX is to stop showing her husband in the audience. It's so gross that his entire face is all tatooed up. He looks ridiculous. "Superstar" was a good choice. Laura, from "Grease: You're The One That I Want" sang this song late in the competition and went on to win the role of Sandy. Anyway, this was one of Carly's best performances and I've been waiting for her to have that great performance. She's always right on the bubble of greatness, at least for my taste, and I thought she nailed it and solidified her status for the Top 3 in this competition.

Finally, there was David Cook who should win this competition. However, the best doesn't always win. Just ask Chris Daughtry that. But, sometimes not winning turns out to be better so you don't have to make a CD of queer songs. Anyway, he sings "Music Of The Night" which was the best song of the night again for David. He just seems to know what he's doing on stage. He changes the song to make it his own and sings it well. Each week the performance is original and one of the few performances that I look forward to hearing. David has 4 weeks left before the finals and I'm sure he'll be standing there next to David Archuletta.

So, this week should be easy. The bottom three are Syesha, Brooke, and Jason. I hope Brooke's flub doesn't get her eliminated as I really dislike Syesha and Jason. I think it's finally Jason's time to leave. And, I'm sure he'll be psyched to go home, get high, and eat some chips.

So, until next week...Birdman Out.

No comments: