Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Top 9 Perform


Well, the Top 9 were ready to perform songs from Lennon and McCartney. Come on. It was just two years ago when we had Beatles night. Actually, we had TWO weeks of Beatles nights in Season 7. So, just two years later they bring back basically the same theme? Can't we think of something new?

First up is Aaron whom the other contestants call "Yoda." Yoda would be turning over in his swamp after hearing Aaron destroy "The Long and Winding Road." Aaron's version should have been called "The Long and Boring Song." It was sung so slow and so off key. I know he tried to change it up a bit but wow. It was almost as if we were playing a record at the wrong speed. Aaron is a young kid so maybe it's best that he leaves the competition now so he can get in the last two months of school and at least take the S.A.T.s before year end.

Next up was Katie who we find out loves to dance like Beyonce. It's just too bad she can't sing like Beyonce. Katie chooses "Let It Be" which she also does a bit too slow for my liking. It seemed like the judges liked her performance but I wasn't blown away by it. But hey...what the hell do I know. I wish she went with something a bit more upbeat to go with her age but it was definitely a better performance than she had last week. I don't see this girl having a huge career. However, I can see her singing as on one of the Disney "tween" shows.

We then get to hear Andrew which most of the other idols say is so funny. I guess he doesn't show that humor on stage. Andrew goes with "Can't Buy Me Love" and goes with his own version. I like this guy's voice as I have since the beginning. I do agree that it was a bit "corny" as once of the judges mentioned. I thought in the beginning this guy could be a true artist putting his own spin on songs and making them his own but he is just not connecting with the song. I want him to do better as I know he can but it's just not working the way I envisioned. I hope he stays around as I look forward to his performances only to be a bit disappointed.

We then see Big Mike whom the girls say is like a "big teddy bear" the same thing that contestants said about Ruben Studdard. Mike chooses "Eleanor Rigby" which I was upset about since David Cook did an amazing version of this two years ago. How would Mike fare? He did a good job putting an R&B vibe on this Beatles classic. Randy keeps on referring to "Glee" in his comments. I love "Glee" but please stop plugging this show as part of your critique. I would have loved Mike to go with a different song but he did a solid job with the song he had chosen. It wasn't my favorite performance but enough to keep him safe this week.

Front-runner Crystal was next and we see that there is a sign in her town with her name on it. I guess the 108 people in that town will all know who she now. Crystal goes with "Come Together" and does a perfect job with it. I had never heard of a didgeridoo before the performance but I know what one is now. I wasn't distracted by the didgeridoo. I just like saying the word "didgeridoo." Can you say it too? Didgeridoo, didgeridoo, didgeridoo... She is very comfortable on stage and she really knows what she wants to do and how she wants to do it. Her hair looked a bit greasier and dirtier and than normal but I'm used to the trashy look by now. That being said, she's safe.

Poor Tim has to follow Crystal. That's so set up by the producers to try and get rid of this guy already. They tell us that Tim just loves to smile. After all of these weeks, we know he likes to smile. I'm just glad he has nicer teeth than Crystal or the smiling would really annoy me. Tim sings "All My Loving" and I didn't love it but it was better than normal for this guy. His voice just annoys me. I keep on thinking about his "Under My Thumb" performance everytime he sings and it really rubs me the wrong way. That being said, I still don't think Tim Malakar is going home. He's Sanjaya and John Stevens combined. The bad singer and energizer bunny that keeps on ticking.

Now we get to see girl favorite Casey whom the other singers tease about looking like a soap star. Casey has been solid all season but I've been waiting for the WOW from him. Bret Michaels has his "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" and now I think Casey James has his "Jealous Guy." I felt this was his breakout song. It was the best performance of the night and I think the best performance of any Idol contestant this season. This was great. He totally modernized this song and made it his own. He now needs to take this performance and build on it. But, great job !

Following Casey was weird chick Siobhan whom the contestants describe as "interesting" and "weird." But, that's not a surprise. I have problems looking at her. I have problems with her image. I can't stand her voice and how she dresses. I'm not a Siobhan fan. That was solidified with her painfully horrific performance of "Across The Universe" which I loathed. It got even more annoying when Simon asked her why she picked the song and she made some emotional speech about nothing changing her world." I was ready to puke after Siobhan explained it to us. She claims that nothing is going to change her world. WRONG. If she gets the boot at the #9 slot, her world will change as opposed to going further in the competition. I'd love for this girl to go home. She's starting to annoy me the same way that Allison Irritating did last season.

Finally Lee gets a chance to end the show coming off an amazing performance last week. We learn that Lee is a big worrier. However, after his version of "Hey Jude", I don't think he has to worry anymore. Not sure about the bagpiper and I'm so glad I'm not Scottish as I could never pull off the kilt. But as for the performance and singing, it was top notch. I have no complaints about Lee and he's on a hot streak right now and I hope he continues doing things the right way.

So, who goes home? I'd have to say that the bottom three should be Aaron, Andrew, and Tim. I hope I'm wrong on one of these with Siobhan being in the bottom. But, I'm gonna say that Aaron's ride ends tonight.

Until then...Birdman Out.

No comments: