Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Season 6: The Final 3


No more themes...we are down to business as finally, the Final 3 performed last night. And actually, all performances were solid last night so I'm not even sure what the hell I'm gonna write. But, I'm sure something will come off the finger tips. So, here we go...

Jordin Sparks kicked it off singing "Wishing On A Star" which Simon chose for her. I think it was a song from Expose' or Klymaxx or The Jets or one of those girl groups of the 80's. Or maybe it was Brenda K. Starr or Selena. Anyway, it was a good song choice to take a song from a cheezy group and update it for this millennium. I loved the R&B tone to the song and I thought she hit it right on the money. If I were sitting with Roger and Ebert, I'd give the performance a Thumbs Up. Jordin's next song was the producers choice of "She Works Hard For The Money." Another good song choice. Simon had commented that he loved the "money note" at the end but my freggin cable froze for a few seconds so I missed the end note. But, I thought she moved around the stage nicely and sung the soon well. Finally, it was Jordin's choice and she chose was "I, Who Have Nothing" which she had sung weeks ago in the competition to rave reviews. It was her best performance of the night. What can ya say...she's good. Does she make the finals next week? I won't give my prediction yet but I'm sure you know what I'm gonna say anyway.

Next up was Blake Lewis. Paula chose "Roxanne" for him. First of all, "Roxanne" is one of the most overrated songs. It irritates the hell out of me just as much as "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics does. Awful. However, it was a good song choice for Blake. I like how he brought back some blonde into his hair to make him look less like a pedofile. He sung the song well for him. He doesn't have a great voice but he did the best he could with his voice but his stage presence helps him make the performance. The producers then chose Maroon 5's "This Love" which turned out to be another great song choice. He was totally into his element and hey...he sounded good again. Crap...I was really hoping he would suck like he mostly does. Finally, he chose "When I Get You Alone" and he nailed it. Love the end with the slight beat boxing and wow...we got ourselves a battle now. It shows that song choice is so important.

Finally, we have Melinda Doolittle. Randy chose a Whitney Houston song "I Believe In You And Me." When I heard the song choice, I was worried as Whitney is one of the artists you should stay away from. She did a great job which you can't argue with. However, was it better than Whitney Houston? I don't think so. I don't think that Melinda overwhelming won Round 1 like Simon had said. The producer chose "Nutbush City Limits" by Ike and Turner for Melinda. What a stupid song. What the HELL is a nutbush? Is that another way of saying Almonds On A Vagina? I didn't like the song choice at all. However, we all know Melinda can sing and she did a fantastic job. The problem with this song is that it required more yelling than singing but she still did it well. Finally, Melinda chose "I'm A Woman." I hated her last outfit as it made her look all scrunched up again. However, the singing overshadowed her look.

So, prediction time. I've been on the Jordin bandwagon since the beginning so I can't change my tune now. Melinda is a lock to go to the finals but look what happened last year when it got deep in the competition when Daughtry lost out to Yamin so anything can happen. Anyway, I'm saying Blake goes home but if Melinda and Jordin split the vote, then Blake can squeak into the finals. We shall see tonight. Until then, Birdman Out !

No comments: