Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Season 6: Top 6 Perform...Again


Well, we are down to the final 6, half way to crowing a champion. I'm born and bread in New Jersey, some would say Jersey Cheese. And us Jersey folk like two things - Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi. The latter of the two was theme for the evening. And, here's how it went down.

Phil Stacey kicked off the program singing "Blaze Of Glory." Since he had done country songs well the last two weeks, I was hoping that he would come out and sing "Wanted Dead Or Alive" as that has a country twang to it. But, the song choice of his was still great as it had that country feel to it. And ya know what? He totally pulled it off. I'm not a huge fan of Egg Head but I thought he did a great job. He showed great stage presence and belted out the lyrics of the song. He totally stepped up his game last night and should be a shoe-in now for the Final 4.

Next up was my favorite, Jordin Sparks, singing "Living On A Prayer." First of all, it was the wrong song choice. She needed to sing one of Bon Jovi's slow songs. I was hoping she would sing "Bed Of Roses" or "Always" that could really show off her voice. This was a train wreck. I didn't like her hair. I didn't like her singing, or shall I say, yelling. And it just looked so awkward on the stage. She's lucky that last week gets combined with this week so I still think she makes the Final 4 but not a good performance by Miss Sparks. Ouch !

Following that disaster was Lakisha Jones. I was nervous for her as she has a very gospely voice and to sing Bon Jovi might not be the right kind of music for her. Her song choice was "This Ain't A Love Song." I thought it was a great choice of song and she did it nicely. It wasn't great but it was one of her best performances in the past few weeks. And she's losing weight. You don't need to be on the Biggest Loser, you just need to make the Top 12 on American Idol to slim down. Still, when we combine last week with this week, Miss Jones may be on the bubble.

Hitting the stage next was Blake Lewis with an interesting rendition of "Shot Through The Heart." This is the performance I've been waiting for out of Blake. He hasn't beat boxed in over a month but he took he took a huge risk and pulled it off. The way he made the song sound was not the kind of music I like but the song and performance was fantastic. It was original and entertaining. The dark hair was a bit creepy but for me, this was one of the best performances in the history of American Idol. When watching American Idol 10 in 4 years, this is the performance you'll look back and say, "Hey...remember that Blake Lewis performance..." That's how good it was. I still don't love his voice but I got to toast my coffee cup to this guy for what he did last night. Clap Clap !

Boy Band Wannabee Chris Richardson was up next singing "Wanted Dead Or Alive." I just don't like this guy's voice. If he's not singing through his nose, he's singing these irritating runs and it makes him sound like a whiny bitch. I think Chris has gone as far as he can go in this competition. I also though he picked the wrong song as he's not a country singer. I thought he should have picked something a bit more upbeat. Sorry Chrissy...time's up !

The show ended with Melinda Doolittle singing on of Bon Jovi's more recent songs - "Have A Nice Day." This was a great way to end the show. The dwarf factor has been less bothersome the last 4 weeks. Again, kudos to the stylist. And what great singing. Who know a black woman could pull off a song of a white "rock" band. Great job Melinda. Every year there is that one person that the judges rarely criticize that is their favorite. Melinda is that girl. I'm still rooting for Jordin but odds are that Melinda could be our next Idol. A.J.M. - Awesome Job Melinda !

So, if you have to combine this week with last week, going home are Chris and Lakisha. Bring on the Top 4 ! Woooooooooooo ! Birdman Out !

No comments: