Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hollywood Round - Night #1


First of all, I think the Ellen thing was going to be a disaster and while it was a bit more Ellen than I wanted, it didn’t bother me too much. So, we have 181 singers in Hollywood and with so much going on, I’m just going to make some points and do some tweaking of my Top 24 until this competition begins.

First of all, Katie Stevens solidified herself as a Top 24 candidate singing “For Once In My Life.” She’s cute and has a great voice. She’s a lock.

Then, Andrew Garcia stood out as a potential winner singing a unique version of Paula Abdul’s “Straight Up.” He did amazing and showed that he could really change it up. Hey…he could be still around in May.

I loved Janell Wheeler who sang “American Boy” last night. She’s got a good look, plays the guitar, and is unique. She’s also a lock for the Top 24.

One of the people who the judges love but I can’t stand is Haeley Vaugn. She is the black country pop singer who did a Taylor Swift song last night. She doesn’t do it for me and I see her being this year’s Paris Bennett as the person who’ll make it deep but I can’t stand.

I like Mary Powers, the rocker. She sings a song from Pink and sounds a bit like Pink. She’s on the bubble for the Top 24 depending on how many other female rockers we get to see. I’d love for her to get in though.

What sucks is that a few favorites from the auditions we don’t even hear sing like Todrick Hall, Charity Vance, and one of my early favorites in Ashley Rodriguez. But, they all advance.

We then get to see Lilly Scott who we never saw in the auditions round. She has this grayish hair and sings some song I’ve never heard of with her guitar. Sorry Lily…I don’t like you but the judges did. I don’t see it so I think she’ll fall well short of the Top 24. And that hair color…time to get that fixed.

We then see Michael Lynche who’s wife is in labor. He was great in the auditions and great in the first round of Hollywood singing “Waiting on the World to Change.” He is easily in the To 24 with that voice and he’s a likeable guy.

We then see a new guy in Tim Urban who sings a David Cook song. I thought he was terrible but the judges had him advance. There’s only one Urban in music and that’s Keith who I think sucks too.

We then get to see the homely Maddy Curtis which I’m so glad she got the boot. I couldn’t look at her. She just looks like a sad wreck.

However, Casey James, the guy who took off his shirt, sings a John Mayer song and did great. This guy has a look that girls will love. He has a great chance of Top 24 status.

We then see Didi Benami who sings a Kara song “Terrified” and did a good job. We never saw Didi before but she did a solid job. I liked it. She could have a chance to make Top 24 if the chips (or tips…she’s a waitress) fall her way.

Last, there was Crystal Bowersox who I don’t remember at all. She sings “Natural Woman”, a song which Kelly Clarkson did so well. She did a good job with this song but it didn’t blow me away.

There was definitely some people we didn’t see this day too like Tyler Grady who I really liked. Hope we see more tonight. Here’s my original list. Let’s see who gets the boot. Ooops. I realized I had Casey James with the boys by accident so I have to tweak a little bit:

MY TOP 12 GIRLS:
1. Ashley Rodriguez (T)
2. Katelyn Epperly (T)
3. Katie Stevens (T)
4. Angela Martin (but there are rumors she drops out again cause of her missing mom)
5. Mary Powers
6. Jannell Wheeler
7. Lacey Brown (T)
8. Maddy Curtis – GONE !
9. Didi Benami
10. Haely Vaugn (T)
11. Charity Vance
12. Paige Dechausse – GONE !

MY TOP 12 BOYS:
1. Andrew Garcia (T)
2. Michael Lynche (T)
3. Chris Golightly (T)
4. Toddrick Hall (T)
5. Jermaine Purifoy
6. Casey James (T)
7. Aaron Kelly
8. Mark Labriola
9. Matt Lawrence
10. Tyler Grady (T)
11. Dave Pittman
12. John Park

Birdman Out

No comments: