Thursday, February 21, 2008

Idol Recap: Top 12 Girls Perform



Three of my favorite non-winners of the prior 6 seasons have been girls - Tamayra Gray, LaToya London, and Vonzell Solomon. There has been three girls I've loathed - Fantasia Barrino, Paris Bennett, and Mikelah Gordon. What will we get tonight? Will it be rememberable? Or will they just fade away like a Julia DeMato, Camille Velasco, or Stephanie Edwards.

The girls have won 4 of the 6 seasons of American Idol so the odds are that a few of these girls will stand out. I'm just hoping we don't have a Final 3 like we did in season 3 where we were left with Jasmine Trias, Diana DeGarmo and Fantasia Barrino. We can't do much worse than that...right? Last night was a bit interesting as some of the girls had the flu so I'm not sure what to officially think. Here's how the girls performed:

My preseason favorite, Kristy Lee Cook, was up first. She is one of the girls who has the flu. She came out looking good and sung "Rescue Me." I was actually a bit disappointed. I thought she was going to do much better. I think her cold affected her voice but I still think she will be better next week when she recovers from her illness. This was like David Hernandez' performance the night before when he was first. It was good but it was not groundbreaking. Part of that must have been the nerves to be on stage first. As far as I'm concerned, the Cook is still in the house.

Joanne Borgella was next to hit the stage. She's far from Kimberly Lock. She's not even close to Mandisa. Maybe, at best, she's LaKisha Jones. But really, it was not that good. She sang "I Say I Little Prayer" and I did pray afterwards that she'd be going home soon. The song choice was bad. It was too much a Keroeke song. The voice was off and she really didn't do much on the stage. She won't be with us long. It's just a matter of time.

Following Joanne was Alaina Whitaker who is only 16. She looks a bit older than that. She actually looks a bit like Carrie Underwood but with a gap in her front teeth. Come on Alaina, you knew you were going to be on this show a few weeks ago. Go to a dentist and get your tooth bonded. She performed "More Today Than Yesterday." He voice is actually not terrible. I actually thought she had a nice voice. My problem is that she's no different than Carrie and not as strong. So, basically, we've been there, done that. She could be on the bubble for the Top 6 girls. The jury is still out on Alaina.

Next up is Amanda Overmyer. She's the biker chick that looks like a bigger version of Nikki McKibbin. I'm not a huge fan of this girl. She yelled "Baby, Please Don't Go." I'm not sure what the heck was going on with this performance. It was horrific. She didn't show off her voice. She screamed the entire song and I couldn't make out a single lyric. The judges like her because she is different. I can't stand it. For me, she's Fantasia Barrino - different with a voice that makes me want to walk out of the livingroom and into the kitchen. She could go far based on originality but I hope and I pray that her yelling causes sever laryngitis so I don't have to hear another word come out of her mouth. By the way, was she singing English last night? I almost turned on "Closed Caption For The Hearing Impaired" last night so I could see the lyrics that she was yelling.

Following that screaming-fest was Amy Davis. We actually did see her early in the auditions but I barely remembered her. After her performance last night, I still barely remembered her. She sang "Where The Boys Are" and it was not great. It was so slow, boring, flat, pitchy, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Sorry, I just fell asleep. She could be the first to get eliminated. It was really bad.

Then came Brooke White. Remember her...she's the girl who's never seen an R rated movie. Oye Vey. Figures she'd sing a song called "Happy Together" which David Cooke performed so well the previous night. It was by no means as good as David's but it was far from a terrible performance. It was a bit above average. She's a big question mark as to whether she makes the Top 6 girls or not. I'd like to see her sing a more recent song next week.

And here came Alexandrea Lushington. She has a Latoya Londonish look to her. She sang "Spinning Wheel" and did a good job. I thought she had fun on the stage and put on a good performance. Simon didn't love it but give this girl something a bit more recent and she could be a dark horse this season to make a good run.

Here came Kady Malloy, the Britney impersonator. She's one of the many blondes in this competition. If you had to line her up against some of the other blondes, Kristiy and Brooke are both better. She sings "Groovy Kind Of Love." What she has in her favor is a good look to her. If she survives this week, she better hope that next week's theme is pop music of the 80's or 90's which would benefit her. But, if they go country, she's dead in the water. She looked like she was going to cry when the judges gave her the critique. Awwwwwwww, Kady, do you need a Kleenex?

Up next was Asia'h Epperson. Her dad had passed away right before her original audition. I hated her song choice of "Piece Of My Heart." It was such a shower performance. Can't you see her in the shower singing this song into her shampoo bottle? Sucks about her dad but if she sings like that again, she'll have more time to visit the grave site. Ouch...that wasn't nice of me. I actually think she is much better than she did last night. Let's hope she's better if she sticks around another week. I was shocked that the judges loved her performance. I really thought it was weak.

My favorite person of the night was so unexpected. It belonged to Ramiele Malubay who sang "You don't Have To Say You Love Me." She got it right when it came to song choice. This song is old but it would still work if someone released this song today. She has a great voice and a really cute look to her. I totally underestimated her in the auditions and she's now one of my favorites. She's a lock for the Top 6 girls. She would blow away Jasmine Trias in a head to head competition.

It had to be hard to follow Ramielle but Syesha Mercado was up for the task. She has this Nadia Turner look to her but her voice is much stronger. She was sick and still belted out "Tobacco Road." I wasn't sure where she was going with the song when it started off but she ended on a high note. Another lock for the Top 6.

Finally, the last performer was Carly Smithson. She's been getting a lot of heat for having a recording contract with MCA records that failed and that she' getting a 2nd chance. For me, that doesn't matter. There have been contestants of the past that have made their own CDs and have been signed. I'm ignoring all of that and just focusing on her performance. She sang "The Shadow Of Your Smile." She is the most seasoned performer of the bunch and I think the judges were a little harder on her so she pushes herself even more to get better. She's really in a class by herself in terms of stage presence and singing ability. She's gonna have some performances this season that are going to just blow us away. Last night was just safe but she's going to go really deep.

So, here's my predictions who make the Top 6 girls:
1. Carly Smithson
2. Ramiele Malubay
3. Syesha Mercado
4. Kristy Lee Cook
5. Amanda Overmyer
6. Huh...it could be any one of the following: Brooke White, Asia'h Epperson, Alaina Whitaker, or Alexandrea Lushington. I'll wait to next week to pick one of them.

As for who is going home? It's Amy Davis and Joanne Borgella.

Catch ya later. Birdman Out.

No comments: