Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Season 6: Top 11 Perform




11 Singers were left. If this wasn't American Idol, I'd stop watching now as it's really weak. But, it is American Idol and I'm a sucker for reality television so I'll still tune in each week to see how bad it gets. Here's how bad it was this week with the theme of 60's British Invasion songs:


Haley Scarnato is first to take the stage singing a song called "Tell Him." I though it was going to be awful but I was pleasantly entertained by her performance. She looked good in her short shorts and sung the song well. Yeah, there were a few issues with the song but she stepped up her game and it was a nice way to start off the show. It was definitely her best performance to date.


The cheezeball in Chris Richardson is up next. He sang "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying." After that performance, I was crying and not in a good way. I've said it once and I'll say it again. This guy SO wants to be the lead in a boy band. Sorry Chrisy...not happening. I think your voice is horrible. Every word that comes out of his mouth is partially out of his nose as well. And very sentence ends with him doing his runs. STOP. Your neck twitches to the side every time you do those runs and its so irritating to listen to and watch. I was shocked that the judges liked this performance as I thought it was garbage.


Next up was Stephane Edwards. Her outfit was horrific with the black S&M boots and this blue tight dress that doubled the size of her butt. The only thing missing was a doggie collar around her neck and a whip. She sang "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" which I thought was a great song choice. And she sung the song decently. My problem is that if Tamayra, Latoya, or Vonzell had sung this song, it would have WOW'd me. Steph sang the song good but there was no WOW factor involved. I want her to blow me away and I don't think her voice is strong enough to do that.


Blake Lewis strutted to the stage next to do an updated version of "Time Of The Season." I love this guys stage presence and dancing. I love this guy's beat boxing. However, I don't think he has a great voice. A great voice mixed with the beat box and dancing would vault this guy to the top but his voice for me is just ok. The best part of the song was the beat boxing. I hated the beginning and I hated the end. However, I do like that he's original and can update an old song to make it sound current so there is some talent there. If you have to chose between voting for Blake and Chris Richardson, it's Blake all the way.


LaKisha Jones was next to sing. Her song was "Diamonds are Forever" and the $1,000,000 of diamonds looked nice but that was all I liked about the performance. It was such a boring song and not sung in tune at all. Her voice would go deep singing the "Diamonds Are Forever" part and it just was weird. I know she has a much better voice than she showed last night. This was the first time she didn't copycat the original artist and it turned out to be a big disappointment.


Next to the stage was Phil Stacy singing "Tobacco Road." One week, this guy sounds like Aiken (Clay) and the next week, my ears were Achin'. What the hell was this awful song he chose? He sung nothing in tune at all. His movements around the stage were awkward. He could definitely be in trouble this week after that disastrous performance.


Jordin Sparks followed singing "I, Who Have Nothing." Now, that was a good performance. She sung in tune. Had some nice notes The song choice was horrible but it was sung great. I wished she had picked a more fun song but at least this song showed off her voice. I have picked her to go deep in the audition rounds and I have predicted her to go to the finals in the Round of 24. Now, I'm going out on a limb here. If Jordin is not crowned this year's American Idol amongst this crop of crap, I'll be extremely disappointed.


Sanjaya Malakar was up next singing "You Really Go Me." He really got me thinking about how bad of a song choice that was. I kept on hearing in my head the Van Halen version and then I see this feminine Indian boy with long hair jumping around the stage like a lunatic attempting to sing this song. The vocals didn't even exist and Sanjaya was out of breath throughout the song. This was a bad performance. But, what made the performance so entertaining in a weird way is the little girl crying in the audience. Hey girl. These are NOT the Beatles. This is NOT Michael Jackson. This is some awful singer that happened to make it on to a reality singing contest. They showed her crying 7 times throughout the song. Between Sanjaya's act and this girl's weeping, I'm declaring this the creepiest performance in American Idol history.


Following Sanjaya is Gina Glocksen who sang "Paint It Black." Terrible song choice for Miss Glocksen. Again, this performance belongs in the Village at best with her band. She plays a set at 1:00 AM to the drunks that are still in the bar. Would you pay to see Gina in concert? No. But, maybe I'd pay a $10 cover to see her sing if it includes a free drink.


One of the more popular singers in Chris Sligh now had his turn. He sang "She's Not There" and I personally felt the vocals were not there. The judges thought he did a decent job. I thought this was his worst performance to date. I hated when he started off walking thru the audience making his way to the stage. To do that, you have to have a great voice and be sexy. He definitely ain't sexy and last night he didn't have a good voice. He should have no problem being safe this week but this really was a weak performance for someone that can do much better than he did.


Ending the night was Melinda Doolittle. With her neck nonexistent, she sang "As Long As He Needs Me." And it was sung nice. There were some great vocals throughout the song but it bored the living shit out of me. So what that she has a nice voice. Can you see anyone rushing out to buy her debut CD? There is a reason she was a backup singer. She has a nice voice but if she was a star, someone would have discovered her by now from all the times she was on stage doing backup. In this horrible year, she'll be going right down to the end.


So, that makes the bottom three being Sanjaya, Phil, and either Gina or Stephanie. I'd love to be wrong and have Chris Richardson in the bottom but teenage girls who can't hear how bad his voice is probably think he's cute and will vote for him. I'd love for Sanjaya to be gone too but I'm thinking it could be Gina. We shall see. Birdman Out.

No comments: