Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Season 6: Top 6 Perform



Well, it's the special week of Idol Gives Back. Do you know what Idol should give back? How about hours of my time this season watching these crap singers. So, it was inspirational songs this week. Let's see how I was inspired by their performances.

First up is Chris Richardson singing "Change The World." How about change your image dude. Again, he's such a wannabee. He thinks he IS but he so ISN'T. I don't think the judges were as critical this week on performances as the show was for charity. I'll make a donation tonight as long as this guy gets the boot. I'm coming flat out and telling you the truth on this guy. He is like a bad whore with sharp teeth....HE SUCKS. He really has a weak voice and a terrible stage presence. He struts around the stage bobbin' his head back and fourth like he has a neck twitch or he really loves bobbin for apples. His hand movements look arthritic to me. Enough with the runs. Yeah...we've heard them for weeks already and they don't work. Sorry dude. You need to figure out a second career soon as music is a bad choice.

Melinda Doolittle is up next singing "There Will Come A Day." And ya know what, this was her best performance I've heard. Part of the reason was that she was singing a good Faith Hill song instead of a crap song but she had it going. I could totally hear that song on the radio. Again, maybe because it was once on the radio but she totally made that song her own without ruining it. For her, she looked good and the midget effect was not as bad again. If she wins American Idol, her stylist should share the money from her first CD.

After that, it was Blake Lewis. Blake has been so boring for weeks. Last night he sung "Imagine" by John Lennon. So, I closed my eyes and wanted to imagine some good singing. What I heard was just the opposite. His singing is boring. His voice is just not that good. He has gone down hill the most in my mind. The reason we loved Blake when this competition started was because he was different; he brought a different style to the competition with his beat boxing. It's been weeks since he broke out in a beat box of some good dancing. His performances used to intrigue me. Now they just bore the hell out of me. If he survives this week, he needs to good back to his roots and do what got him into this competition in the first place.

Following Blake, was LaKisha Jones. Last week she sung Carrie Underwood's hit song about Jesus taking the wheel. I had said it was a HUGE mistake to sing a song from a prior Idol contestant. And, obviously, she didn't follow my advice. She sung "I Believe" by Fantasia whom you all know I loathe. Just on a side note, please do NOT waste your money seeing Fantasia on Broadway in "The Color Purple." I want her to CLOSE that show down. Anyway, LaKisha made a huge mistake again. I didn't like the song choice and I agreed with the judges that when that song is heard, all you can hear is Fantasia (and her horrific voice.) LaKisha yelled the song, it was out of tune, and it was a complete mess. She is definitely on the bubble again. And, what happened to the cleavage? Bring it back. Legs kept Haley alive for a while. Boobs may buy you another week or two tops !

Phil Stacy was next to take the stage. He was singing Garth Brooks "The Change." I didn't even realize it was a Garth Brooks song because it didn't sound a bit like a country song to me. I'm glad he stuck to the country thing as he was so good last week but I was not buying this performance. I was boring. I wish he went with something a bit more up beat. It definitely was not his worst performance but I wish he followed up his performance from last week with another good job. Still, at this stage of the competition, I wanted to be WOW'd and I was just EHHH'd.

I was extremely happy that Jordin Sparks was ending the show as that is mostly the best performance of the night. She sung "You'll Never Walk Alone." Back in February right after watching the Seattle Auditions, I had written the following: There were some bright spots and one stand out. A shoe-in for the Top 12 is Jordan Sparks. The second she walked in, this girl had the look, personality, and the style. Now, she just had to be able to sing. And boy did she ever. She belted out "Because I Love You" by Celine Dion and it blew me away. Remember the name cause she is going DEEP in this competition. Then, when the Top 12 girls performed, I wrote: Next up is my early female favorite - Jordin Sparks, who sang Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason". Something about this girl that I like. She has a cute look and a good personality that will carry her far. And, I like what she did with the song. It was sort of what Clay Aiken and Taylor Hicks would do. They would go thru 2/3rds of the song singing good but then the final 3rd of the song was totally powerful. Plus, she had this Beyonce'ish, Kelly Clarksonish, Christina Aguilaraish sound to her. I'm rooting for this girl to go deep and I think she can get better each week. Then, I declared it all once the Top 12 performed for the first time when I wrote: Finally, there was my Audition Favorite, Jordin Sparks to end the show with "If We Hold On Together." And how can you not love this girl. She has the look. She has the voice. She has the smile. She has the personality. Loved her performance. And, I'm going to go out on a limb that she will WIN American Idol 6. I can see myself buying her CD over Lakisha and Melinda. So, there ya go. It's official. Jordin Sparks is our next American Idol. Last night's performance was more of the same. And Jordin will be our next Idol. There's nothing more to say.

As for Eliminations, the bottom 3 will be Phil, Chris, and Lakisha. Phil is safe. It will come down to Chris and Lakisha. I hope it's Chris but I think it will be Lakisha. So, that's the scoop. Donate some money tonight for this cause. Birdman Out.

No comments: