Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Final 4 Perform Rock Songs



We are down to the Final 4. No, I'm not talkin' NCAA hoops; it's American Idol. At last, we are nearing the end from this journey that began in January and here we are in May still freezing our asses off on the east coast.

Adam, Danny, Matt, and Allison are all gunning for the prize but sometimes the prize doesn't pay off. Taylor Hicks won American Idol a few years ago but his album flopped while 4th place finisher Chris Daughtry had his CD go platinum and won American Music and Grammy awards. So, I'm not sure it's beneficial to win American Idol as you could be plenty successful losing at this point.

However, Herm Edwards, an ex-New York Jets coach said it best saying, "You play to win the game." So, that being the case, ya gotta be at the top of your game and try to win this thing even though there have been a few big upsets in the 4 spot. Besides Daughtry leaving at the 4 spot, I feel the only other upset was Season 1's Tamaya Grey going prematurely. Everyone else at the 4 spot couldn't sell an album now if they tried: Josh Gracin, Latoya London, Anthony Federov, LaKisha Jones, and Jason Castro. Actually, Gracin did do well in his debut CD but he's old news. Latoya was probably the best singer in Season 3 but somehow lost out to Fantasia, Diana DeGarmo,and Jasmine Trias which is still the worst Top 3 in the history of American Idol. As for Federov, Jones, and Castro, they weren't good on the show so if they have any aspirations of selling a CD, they must be smokin' Jason Castro's weed and are living in a fantasy land.

And then there's Allison. We are now in crunch time. Anything other than Allison going home this week is a HUGE upset in my book. She's run her course. She's gone as far as she can go. She's not that good and there are three men (or 2 men and a girly-guy) left that's better than Miss Irritating. But, before I eliminate Allison in the prologue, let's see how all of the contestants performed on Rock night with Slash as the mentor. Oh, and there will be two duets as well which is a new addition to Idol.

Adam Lambert is up first to kick off the show with Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love." I was disappointed by the song choice as I'm not a Zeppelin fan at all and find them to be annoying. Adam obviously did what he does best putting his spin on this rock classic. I think I was disappointed because with Slash as the mentor and Adam's voice sounding so much like Axel Rose, I really wanted him to sing a Guns N' Roses song which could have been unbelievable. It was not my F.L.P. - Favorite Lambert Performance - but he did exactly what he needed to do to be safe for the night. Actually, the worst part of the performance was his black "rock" outfit which looked more like a costume. I hate nothing more then when the contestant dresses up to be like the genre instead of just dressing themselves on who they are. I thought he looked ridiculous in his black outfit and was more fit for an S&M session than he was for a musical performance.

My favorite red head, Allison Irritating, was up next with her hair looking a bit more purple than red this evening. When Ryan started the show telling us that there were some mishaps, I figured he was referring to the fact that this pig may have spread swine flu to the other contestants and judges. It turns out that was not the issue. She chooses Janis Joplin's "Cry Baby" and, to no surprise, I'm not a Joplin fan either. Everyone says that this genre is perfect for Allison. Personally, I think Rock week is a disaster for Allison where doing a rock song can come off as yelling. And, yelling is what she did. I'm not a fan of Allison but in other genres where you couldn't yell, she sang and showed she had a much better voice than she did last night. I personally don't like her voice, her look, her personality, and her performances but last night I thought was no good. I'd grade her with a D+. She tried to be more talkative to the judges after yelling and it came off more like oinking.

The first duet was then going to be Kris and Danny performing Styx's "Renegade." They actually sounded pretty good together and it was a great song choice. It's hard to really judge the duet as it's not fair how people are paired so I'm not going to really spend much of my time talking about the duets. But, it was good vocals and a good performance.

Without getting much time to relax, it was Kris Allen's turn to take the stage doing the Beatles' "Come Together." If I recall, I think Carly Smithson did this song last year on Idol during Beatles week. This version was not as good as Carly's. It's really hard to do a Beatles song and there are so many songs out there that could have fit Kris better. I liked the fact that he brought out the guitar but the vocals weren't his best and it just wasn't Kris's style. Plus, the band was too loud for Kris' voice. He needed a more mellow rock ballad instead of what he chose. He could be on the bubble of elimination this week.

Danny was the last solo performance of the night doing Aerosmith's "Dream On" which is a song I can't stand. The song is irritating like the Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams" where Annie Lennox says "Sweet Dreams" over a hundred times in the song, Steven Tyler sings "Dream On" at least a hundred times in the song. And, that was pretty much what Danny did...just sing and yell the words "Dream On" over and over and over again. It could have been Danny's worst performance of the season culminated with that horrific note he screeched at the end. I want Danny to stay and with David Cook's brother passing away earlier in the week, I hope they sympathy votes were out in full force last night to keep him in this competition.

The show ended with Adam and Allison duetting Foghat's "Slow Ride" and they actually did a good job together. Plus, it came after Danny's botched high note so anything could have sounded better after that. Again, I'd rather not go into depth on the duets as I don't think the pairings were fair so I'll just say that they did a better duet than Kris and Danny earlier in the evening.

With four people left, I'm not sure they are doing to do a bottom 3 so I'll go with a bottom two of Kris and Allison. It's a toss up. I'd like the all boys final 3 and I can't stand piggy so I'm saying Allison finally, please, I hope, goes home this evening.

Birdman Out.

No comments: