Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Top 5 Croon The Rat Pack


We are down to the Final 5 and this is a huge week; not just because of another elimination, but because of history.

Here's Idol's previous 7 contestants to go down at the 5 spot: R.J. Helton, Trenyce, George Huff, Scott Savol, Paris Bennett,Chris Richardson, and Brooke White. I know Helton, Bennett, and White each put out a CD. You can probably be 1 of a few hundred to buy that CD if you go on Amazon. So, basically, going home in this week marks the end of your career despite the judges saying "This is just the beginning...." That's nonsense. It's basically the END unless you are Jennifer Hudson who pulled off fame leaving in the 7 spot. So, the pressure is on. Let's see how it played out:

This week's theme is songs popularized by the Rat Pack. Basically, it is crooner songs that all sound alike and not my favorite theme for this late in the competition. It is not the easiest theme and I had a feeling that not many people were going to change it up and modernize it. But, let's see how it went:

Kris Allen hits the stage first. He's SO this year's Chris Richardson or Jason Castro. The difference is that Kris can sing and is a better looking guy to appeal to those teenage girls, the same girls that drool and get wet over Zac Efron. Kris is such an underdog from the second he popped up on that first week of the Top 36 pulling off the upset and making it to the top 12. I'm not sure if he can overcome the popularity of a Lambert or Gokey but he could make things interesting after this week when there could be that big Week #4 upset and Kris has the tools to make that happen. I heard yesterday that I-Tunes accidentally released how many downloads have been paid for on the top Idol contestants. Surprisingly, Kris Allen was #2 ahead of Gokey (and Lambert was #1.) Kris chose to sing "The Way You Look Tonight" and it was okay. It was a good cover of the original version but I wanted more. I wanted him to totally change up the whole croon thing and whip out the guitar and make it his own. With only five people left, he could be a candidate for the bottom three.

My favorite red head was next in the form of Allison Irritating and she can not make it to the Top 4. She's horrific. I've said it before but she's worse than last year's Amanda Overmeyer. This girl is Porky Pig with this red hair that doesn't even look real. I wonder if it's a wig? Her bottom teeth need some serious work. When she talks it looks as if she has globs of wet tobacco stuffed in her lower lip. It's just repulsive. Yeah, I'm hard on her but it's not just her looks that gross me out; it's her singing. As for her looks, she makes Natalie Maines (of the Dixie Chicks) come off as hot and she's on top of my B.P.L. - Biggest Pigs List. Yeah, there's always one person that disgusts me each year from Fantasia, to Paris Bennett to Mikalah Gordon to Amanda Overmeyer to Vanessa Oliverez to Ryan Starr. It just so happens that Allison Irritating is this year's gross contestant that can't sing. She sings "Someone To Watch Over Me" and it was actually her best performance of the year. WAIT. I'm not saying I liked it but she showed that she actually can sing a song instead of yell a song. It's still far from my cup of tea and she's a lock this week for the Bottom 3 but I've seen a lot worse from her this season. Happy Birthday Allison...the end is near !

Matt Giraud, our dueling pianist (I hate that word as it sounds like penis) was up next. Matt is like Jekyll and Hyde...one minute he's good and the next minute he's bad. Timberlake he's not when it comes to dancing but he could sing a good groove when he picks the right song choice and is on. I liked the fact that he was wearing the hat low down to cover up that huge mole in the middle of his forehead. He's gonna have to get that thing removed. Matt's choice this week was "My Funny Valentine" and I didn't think it was as good as Simon thought. I thought it was a bit off to start but then the last minute I really enjoyed. I thought this should have been the week for Matt to return to his roots and get back on the piano. I think we have another contestant in the bottom 3.

It was now Gokey time. Danny wife is still listening from the grave and holding his hand all the way as she knows he's so close. His story would make a great plot line for Ghost 2 if he could make it to the finals. David Cook rode the "brother-got-brain cancer" story last year so why can't the "dead wife thing" work in his favor as we near the end. Come on, if he does just as good as one of the other contestants and you don't know who to call in for, don't you think the voters, at this stage of the game, are going Danny over another due to his story? Stories sell and that's why People Magazine is in business. Don't get me wrong, I like Danny a lot but we are coming down the wire and I really want the dead wife to push him to give him that "WOW" performance ala David Cook that I know he can do and that I'm waiting for. Danny was singing "Come Rain Or Come Shine" which is a song I'm not too familiar with and he did a great job and could have had the performance of the night. Since I don't know the song well, it doesn't qualify for that "WOW" performance I'm waiting for but it was really good. For me, the "WOW" needs to be a popular song that everyone knows that is changed so much that you just go, "WOW"...that was good. But, good job Daniel.

Finally, it was Adam Lambert's turn and he has got to be the favorite to win it all at this point with the originality he brings each week. Yeah, he's over-dramatic and turns so many songs into an Axel Roseish 80's ballad but it's different. Despite being so Broadway, he's got stage presence and really knows how to change it up. I'm not sure I can listen to him sing 10 straight songs on a CD but I'm convinced I can watch and listen to him sing and perform 10 songs on stage. I've said it once, and I've said it again; he's the Rum Tum Tugger. Basically, I really didn't know what this was until my friend mentioned it and the Tugger isn't even a singer - it's a character in "Cats" on Broadway called "the Rum Tum Tugger." After watching a performance by the R.T.T. on YouTube, I totally agree with my friend that Lambert could walk right into this role. He was singing "Feelin' Good" and he really changed it up and modernized it, giving the song a rock edge, unlike the other four contestants. And he did a great job and had one hell of a note towards the end.

I'm not sure if there is going to be a Bottom 3 tonight with only five left but if there is, I'm gonna say: Kris, Matt, and Allison. Kris goes back to the couches first leaving Matt and Allison as the bottom 2. And Allison goes home giving Idol the first Top 4 being all male.

And that's the scoop. Catch ya tomorrow. Same bird time, same bird channel.

Birdman Out.

No comments: