Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Top 7 Go Disco


We are back at the Top 7 again with Matt getting the judges save last week. Now it was time to see what the contestants got for disco night. Remember, two people are going home this week. So, let's see what happened:

Lil started off the show with Chaka Kahn's "I'm Every Woman" which is a huge mistake because that song was remade by Whitney Houston and one of the things you don't do in American Idol is sing a Whitney Houston song as you'll never be able to pull off a better cover. Yeah, yeah...I know she did the Chaka Kahn version but Chaka Kahn, Chaka Kahn. Chaka Kahn I wanna tell ya that Lil was really bad, I wanna love her so much, but it's really really sad.... Okay....I spared you my singing of that. Lil's performance was a lil bad, a lil not good, a lil disappointing, a lil boring, a lil of the same thing we see from Lil week after week. She's just not getting it. She could be one of the most disappointing contestants we've every had on this show because we all know Lil can sing but she just is not having great performances and picks the wrong song each week. Lil is a lock for the bottom 3 this week.

Kris Allen was up next taking a huge risk with his version of Donna Summer's "She Works Hard For The Money." And ya know what? The risk paid off. As he sung, I knew the lyrics he was singing but I kept on saying to my self, "What song is this..." Then, once he got to the chorus, I knew exactly what he was singing and that made me like it even more. I loved how he changed it up and made it so original and unrecognizable. This was definitely Kris's "WOW" performance. The best part was that it didn't even sound like a disco song and the fact that he pulled off a Donna Summer song is extra points for the K-man.

Following Kris was Danny Gokey's "September" by Earth, Wind, and Fire. It was a very good cover and I like the way he injected some of his Gokey soul into the song but the problem was that it came off as a cover whereas Kris Allen's performance came off as a totally different song. I'm still waiting for the "WOW" from Gokey. Don't get me wrong; I still love it. But, I want to see more. I want him to pull off something so original that everyone would be talking about it the next day. This guy is a great talent and he's still going to go far but with Kris Allen getting better and better each week, Danny better step up his game if he wants to make it to the finals.

Then came Allison Irritating. She looked like a cross between Miss Piggy and the Griswald daughter in "National Lampoon's European Vacation" while wearing some Sci-Fi outfit. Miss Irritating yelled her version of Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" and for me, it was "Bad Stuff." I think the judges know that Lil is the worst female left and they want to keep a female in this competition so they are giving her good comments to sway the voting public to keeping her in. Personally, she's horrendous. She's a great yeller but a terrible singer. She "sings" like she is squeezing out diarrhea while suffering a bout of lyrangitis.

Mr. Adam Lambert was up next and I was very curious to see what he was going to attempt. This night, he goes with "If I Can't Have You" written by the Bee Gees, performed by YYvonne Elliman for the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack but then also later performed by the Bee Gees. Enough with my musical history lesson. He went with the slow down arrangement and only had two giant yelps towards the end of the song which he could have toned down a bit. But, this was the performance of the entire season and basically could be the clincher for him to win it all. It was just really good from beginning to end. Plus, it was original. If you can sing and put your own spin on a song, you'll go far. He did just that.

Matt Giraud, saved by the judges last week, was singing again. His choice for the week was the Bee Gee's "Stayin' Alive." Wow...interesting choice being that "Stayin Alive" is one of the Top 10 most popular 70's songs ever made. He had the Justin Timberlake hat and outfit going in his favor and his vocals were pretty good. However, unlike Justin was the dancing which needs a major improvement. Howeve,r I thought he did a good job with an overly popular song. I would have loved for him to redeem himself in front of the piano and put a slower spin on the song but he gave the song some soul and I actually liked it.

And who would have thought that they were going to let Anoop close out the show. The parents of the little girl in "Slumdog Millionaire" may be trying to sell her for $400K but not Annop's parents. He sang Donna Summer's "Dim All The Lights." Once I heard that, I thought, "Wow...it took a lot of brown testicles (aka BALLS) to pick that song." I loved the way he started with the slow arrangement and picked it up a little bit. He even looked good with the pink mixed into his outfit and the scruff on his face. I thought it was Anoop's best performance of the season and it sounded a bit Yamin-ish to me. Good way to end disco night.

So, who is the bottom three? I'm going to have to say Lil, Allison and Matt could be in trouble. If that's wrong, then Anoop probably replaces Matt or Allison in the bottom 3. But, I'm gonna stick with Lil, Allison,and Matt. With two people going home, I'm gonna have to say that it shoud be Lil and Allison. I hope it's not Matt so I'm really rooting for them to get rid of Allison already as she's the most overrated contestant Idol has ever seen.

And that's the scoop. I'm gonna go hit the disco round and we'll find out who's a goner. Until then, Birdman Out.

No comments: