Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Top 7 Perform Movie Songs


After getting over Scotty Mac's elimination last week, it was time for the Top 7 to performs songs from the movies with Quentin Tarantino as the mentor. Movie night gives the final 7 so many songs to choose from so again, song choice is key.

First off, Ryan tells us they are changing things for the evening not to run over the allotted hour as they did last week where most of America, if they didn't extend their DVR, missed the final song. So, judges were going to speak in groups of two with Paula and Simon being grouped together and Randy and Kara as a duo. This is sort of annoying because people want to hear what Simon has to say and now he can only speak for half of the contestants. Well, since there were 7, his group got to speak for 4 of the 7 but still. Maybe the producers should have thought better about adding a 4th judge or maybe eliminate some of the crap in the beginning of the show. Do we really need the judges to be introduced each week? If you don't know their names by now, you have a serious learning disability. Last night's singing didn't get underway until the 7 minute mark. Anyway, let's see how the night played out.

Kicking off movie night was Allison Irritating. With her pig-nose glistening under the lights, she sang Aerosmith's "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" from the movie "Armageddon." Personally, I wanted to miss everything. It was horrendous. Yes, you know I don't like this girl but she was so out of tune at parts. Parts of the song were yelled. It was pitchy and the chick still gets the judges praise. At least they didn't compare her this week to Kelly Clarkson. With only seven people left, it's time for her to be back in the bottom 3.

Following that nightmare was Anoop doing Bryan Adam's "Everything I Do (I Do It For You" from "Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves." First of all, I can't stand this song and I'm not a huge Bryan Adams fan. But ya know what? Anoop pulled it off. The song was actually better than Bryan's version. Maybe it's Bryan Adam's cheesy scratchy voice that gets to me but Anoop sung this song so well that I almost didn't know the original existed. It was smooth, in tune, and so perfect of a choice for him. Anoop, who could have been on the bubble this week, buys himself another week. I could have been his best performance in this competition.

Then comes front-runner, Adam Lambert, performing Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild" from "Easy Rider." I'm glad he didn't do a tripy version of this song to appeal to all the drugged out fans of "Easy Rider." He was actually back in his Adam groove last night in his over the top Axel Roseish singing. I liked when he was doing the verses but I did have some issues with the chorus when he would go into the "Born To Be Wild" part. This guy should replace Constantine Maroulis in Broadway's "Rock Of Ages" when he decides to leave the show. I thought it was Adam's best performance in weeks and erased the memories for me of the last two weeks. Adam has that "Wow" factor that many of the other contestants don't have this season.

Up next is Matt Giraud. His choice was Bryan Adams' "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman" from "Don Juan DeMarco." First of all, what's with the Bryan Adams songs? Second, who picks a song from Don Juan DeMarco. I've seen a TON of movies in my life and this move is one I choose never to waste two hours watching. Matt is back at his piano but the song just sucks. He's off pitch and it's just not right for him. He went from being Justin Timberlake a few weeks ago to now being Justin Giraud, an imaginary third cousin of Matt's that wants to be a singer. The bottom three, is where Matt will be. Hey...that rhymes!

Then comes Danny Gokey going with "Endless Love" by Lionel Richie from the movie "Endless Love" if you didn't know that. I understand the song choice as it was all for his wife and he sung the song very well. But I sound like a broken record when I say that there is still not that Wow factor. Simon even said what I've been saying that David Cook would change up the song so much to make it his own like last year when he did Lionel Richie's "Hello" which was amazing. That WOW factor and originality is missing which is why Danny will probably fall short of winning this competition unless he can figure out how to change it up over the next six weeks. I still love this guy as he has a great voice but he needs to step it up a notch.

Following that was Kris Allen doing "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from the movie "Once." First of all, who the hell sang this song? Second of all, what movie is this? Has anyone ever seen this movie? If you have, I bet you haven't seen it more than once. Anyway, what a boring song and he does it with out his instrument which I thought was a mistake. What I like about Kris is when he's on the guitar singing and when he's not on it, the performance is just missing something for me. I didn't think it was Kris' best and I was a bit disappointed with all the songs out there that this was the song he chose. Kris could be on the bubble but you'll have to wait for my predictions below.

Finally it was time for Lil to disappoint again. She was doing Bette Midler's "The Rose" from the movie of the same name. The song was so night right for Lil. She claimed she wanted to but and R&B feel to the song but I wasn't hearing it. It just seemed like a bad version of a great song. Again, Lil doesn't take Simon's advice and go true R&B. Lil could be in major trouble after that performance. On a positive note, I liked the wig again.

So, who goes home? Adam and Danny are safe. That's obvious. It think Anoop saved his ass too. That leaves four people to claim the bottom three. Locks are Allison and Lil but I'm torn between Kris and Matt as I've liked them both. I'm gonna go with Matt as the other member of the bottom three.

With Lil, Allison and Matt in the bottom, if Matt goes home, they are not going to use the save. However, if Allison or Lil get the lowest vote, I think they will use the save because they like both girls and since each judge didn't get a chance to critique the performance, it's the perfect week to use the save as they are getting close to the Top 5 anyway where it can't be used. So,I'm saying Lil goes home (even though I hope it's Allison) and that makes the big question being if they are going to use the judges save.

Until next week, Birdman Out.

No comments: