Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Top 8 Perform 80's Tunes



So, this week is basically songs from the year you were born which is their fancy way of saying "80's Night." There are TONS of songs to pick so let's see how it played out.

Kicking off the show was the oldest contestant, Danny Gokey, singing "Stand By Me" which is an okay song and I'm a bit disappointed that it's a remake for the 80's so that bothered me a bit. He did a good job but still not that "WOW" I'm waiting for. I liked how he started off slow which was different. The middle of the song was a mess as it sounded too 80's and queer for me but he ended with his soulful self to secure my vote.

Following was Kris Allen doing Don Henley's "All She Wants To Do Is Dance." I kept on thinking it was a Robert Palmer song all night but just realized it was Henley. Either way, I can't stand the song. However, he was able to take a song I loathe and actually make it sound nice. I liked the way he performed as he was surrounded in the audience where Matt did the same thing last week and failed. I was shocked that the judges didn't like what he did. I definitely thought he could have done better with a different song but he made this song his own and I had to clap for what he did.

Then there was Lil and I was beyond happy that she wasn't doing a Whitney Houston song. Instead she chose Tina Turner's "What's Love Got To Do With It." First of all, this was the first week that I bought into the wig thing. For once, it actually looked natural on her head. As for the outfit, to do a Tina Turner song and wear a mini skirt, you best not have chunky legs. Don't get me wrong, Lil is a pretty girl but she doesn't have the Haley Scarnato legs to pull off Tina Turner. That being said, I thought Lil redeemed herself last night. I thought she was back in her groove doing what she does best. I think it was her best performance in at least 3 weeks. However, the judges again disagreed with me. What the hell is going on. Am I heard things differently through my television than the judges are seeing on stage?

Next up was Anoop doing Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors." First all, great song. Second of all, bad singing. I truly hated it. Not sure what the judges again were listening too as they loved it. I'm not sure what is going on tonight but I must have some M.W.B. - Major Wax Build-up - as I don't agree with much so far.

Then there was Scott. He was singing a Survivor song "The Search Is Over." Pathetically, Survivor is one of my favorite groups. I have about 10 of there CDs and I bet you didn't' even know they had more than 2. Anyway, I thought it was a great song choice but this was a song that should have been sung at the piano. However, I liked it. I thought it was a great song choice for him. I was actually hoping for an Air Supply song but this was just as good. He had a great tone to his voice and I think not only the judges, but America is deaf. Bravo Scotty !

Allison Irritating was next doing Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me". I had a feeling she was either gonna do Raitt or Ethridge as that's basically all she can yell anyway. Again, I hated it. It's a copy cat performance that she tries to sound exactly like the original. She yells and I'm just over it. The only comparison to Kelly Clarkson should be that they are both pigs but in terms of a voice, Kelly has much better pipes than this chick. Kara tells Allison she should go ahead an made a record. Come on Kara, this girl is so overrated and no-one was telling her that she can make a record last week? What a joke. I may even just skip the Allison performance next week as you can read the same comments I wrote this week - Not Good.

After Yell Fest IV, it was Matt Giraud grooving to Stevie Wonder's "Part Time Love." And, after a horrific performance last week, I thought this one was just as bad. The judges were gushing over it as I was cringing. It was such a bad song choice for this guy and just didn't fit his style. Two weeks ago he was in the bottom for his best performance and last week he wasn't in the bottom for his worst performance. I hated it this week. Matt is not himself when he's not at the piano. This was just not my cup of tea.

Finally, it was Adam Lambert time. Hopefully you extended your DVR or you would have missed it. It figures he picks a song from 1982 that I never heard of in Tears for Fears' "Mad World." And again, I hated it. The song was so slow and all sung in the same low voice except for a few brief moments where I thought it was going to change. This song didn't show off his voice and wow me at all. And again, the judges loved it. It reminded me of that Summertime performance that Fantasia sang that the judges loved and I loathed. So, I must be the big A-hole of the night as I think I agreed maybe once or twice. After that performance, I was actually upset at myself for extended the DVR ending time as I would have rather missed it.

Basically, 80's night for me was a disaster. I think the worst three of the night that are in danger of the bottom three are Anoop, Allison, and Matt. And I'm gonna say that Anoop goes home.

Until Next Week...Birdman Out.

No comments: