Thursday, March 26, 2009

Top 10 Perform Motown


It was Motown night for the Top 10 which should definitely play into the strengths of the contestants more than it id for Country week last week. So, let's see what happened.

First up is Matt Giraud singing Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" while at the piano. He changes up the song which made it sound much more current while still keeping with melody. Then, he gets up from the piano and take the song up another notch. He was totally in his grove. I have a riddle for you. What do you get when a white horse falls in the mud? Answer: Dark Horse. Yes, Mr. Giraud keeps on getting better and better and has put himself in a position to go deep as his fan base gets stronger each week with each solid performance. I thought it was not only his best performance but it could have been the best performance of anyone this entire season so far.

Following Matt is underdog, Kris Allen. The only reason I say "underdog" is that no one even knew who he was when the Top 36 rolled around. He is also doing a Marvin Gaye song - "How Sweet It Is" and it was actually sweet. He comes out with the guitar and performs a modern version of this Gaye classic (and NO...that's NOT a pun). Every time I hear this song, I think of Chris Klein singing it in the first American Pie and how bad he was. This was the complete opposite. This guy is comfortable with the guitar. Girls dig him. And he has the potential to cause a major upset as we move along in this competition.

Then there is Scott MacIntyre, aka Blind Guy. You had to know he was blind when you saw him wearing PINK pants. Yes, pink pants. I guess no one helped him pick up his wardrobe. Anyway, for the third straight performance of the night, the contestant was with a musical instrument. I was glad that Scott stuck with the Piano despite Paula's stupid comments last week. Scott's song choice was interesting picking the Supremes' "You Can't Hurry Love." I almost wish the backup singers weren't part of his performance as it took away from his vocals. That being said, after hearing it, I wish he picked a different song that showed off his voice a bit better. Don't get me wrong, I think he did a great job with the song he chose. I just wish he picked something more manly to show off his voice better. Hey, I'm a fan of this guy. I may be the only one of people I know but you watch, this guy ain't going anywhere so fast. He may be blind, but everyone I know must be deaf (sorry all of you reading who hate this guy.)

Megan was up next. Yeah, I'm just gonna call her Megan. Every week this chick has a new name and I'm over it. So, she's just plain ole Megan now. Her song to botch this week was Stevie Wonder's "For Once In My Life." I remember how good Justin Guarini performed this song in Season 1 and it made me want to barf about how poor this performance was sung in this season. Again, she has a great look but she lacks any voice and dance skills. Watching her do that twisty thing with her arms makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. As for the voice, yes, I know she's compared to Amy Winehouse but I think she sucks as well. If I never heard Amy sing again, I'd be extremely happy. That also applies to Megan. I just think she has one of the most horrific voices I've ever heard. She's a lock for the bottom 3.

Anoop is up next. Now, this is a guy who doesn't need a last name. If he ever made it, he's just be Annop. Anoop chose to sing "Ohh, Baby, Baby" and does a very slow version which should have been called "Ohhh, Boring, Boring..." He has a nice voice but man, I could have skipped the 3 Tylenol PMs and watched this to fall asleep. I like Anoop but I think the Anoop Factor could be ending soon. He's a potential for the bottom 3. It may be time to put them Anoop Dawgs to sleep.

Then there was Michael Sarver going with "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" but he should really beg for America's votes after that performance. Think of all of the other guys in this competition.
Michael is at the bottom in terms of singing, talent, and stage presence. He's just this nice guy who can sing good but not great. I like this guy as a person but based on this guy's last few performances, would you be going onto Ticketmaster to buy tickets at $45 and up for a Sarver concert? But, I don't feel bad for him. He won't be back at his job anytime soon as he has the summer tour that he'll be going on to make some extra coin. Then, he'll be back on his job in the fall.

Lil Rounds was next and I was most excited to hear her sing as this genre was made for her. Her choice was Martha and the Vandellas' "Heat Wave." First of all, I didn't like the wig they put on her. She has short hair and that's the Lil we know. I was a bit disappointed in her singing. When she did that Mary J Blige performance a few weeks ago, that was what I wanted to hear. Last night, I would have liked her to have modernized the song a bit and to be who Lil really is. Lil is one of the best singers but she's been a bit disappointing the last two weeks. But she has nothing to fear. Even if by chance she got eliminated (which I don't believe will happen), she's the perfect candidate for the "judges save."

Adam Lambert is next coming off his creepy Johnny Cash performance last week. This time he looks like he's out of the sequel to "Just One Of The Guys" where a girl dresses up with a guy. The look alone with his hair slicked and combed over to the side and his suit creeped me out a bit. It's so not who Adam is. He went with an acoustic version of Smokey's "The Tracks Of My Tears." While I was not liking it, deep down, I knew that the judges were gonna love it. It was almost like when Fantasia sung "Summertime" and it was that slow crazy version that I loathed but the judges loved. This was his Fantasia and it didn't work again for me. I wanted to hear him be himself, not someone who he isn't. Do we really need to hear a song all sun in falsetto when that's really not showcasing how good of a voice he really has. Adam is the perfect candidate to not go as far as he should based on the last two weeks. He could totally peak at #4.

Following Lambert is Danny Gokey going with the Temptations "Get Ready." It was definitely not Danny's best performance, it was still extremely good. He has a unique voice and good stage presence. I loved the part of the song when he went back to sing and dance with the backup singers only to then come to the front of the stage to finish up the song. I think Danny need to do something that David Cook would do last year by changing it up each week. There were a few performances by Cook last year like "Billy Jean" that would just blow you away. And Blake Lewis did the same thing doing his version of Bon Jovi the year before. Gokey needs a performance like that for us to remember the entire season. I know he has it in him but I just want to see that performance now.

Shockingly, Allison Irritating gets the final spot of the night with her version of the Temptations' "Papa Was A Rolling Stone." My wife says, "I don't get it, but I know why the judges get it." Personally, I disagree. I don't get it and I don't get that the judges get it. It's just a yell fest out there. It was irritating from the first lyric down to the last. I hope America disagrees with the judges as this chick is horrendous. She has no right being in the Top 10. I don't know who is worse...Allison or Megan.

So, I think the best three of the night were Matt, Kris, and Danny.

As for the bottom three, it should be Michael, Megan, and Anoop but I'd love for the Anoop Factor to still be in effect and maybe it would be Allison. We could even get a shocker with Lil in the bottom 3 but I hope not. Going home is probably Michael Sarver.

Until next week...Birdman Out.

No comments: