Friday, March 6, 2009

Your Top 12, I Mean 13 !



Okay, it is finally Wild Card night. Which of the 8 remaining contestants will make it? Let’s see how it played out last night.

First up is Jesse Langseth who tried to redeem herself with Stevie Wonder’s “Tell Me Something Good” and it was as she just told us something average. Kara must have been on crack comparing Jesse to Sasha Fierce. There is only room for one Jesse in the music world and that belongs to Jesee’s girl.

One of my favorite contestants was up next in the form of Matt Giraud. He put last week’s disaster in the past and went back to being more bluesy doing “Who’s Loving You” by the Jackson 5. And, wow, he nailed it. He had soul. He had stage presence. He had confidence. I believed he was going to be a lock unless the judges were going to try and better balance the Top 12 by only choosing girls in the wild card round.

Megan Joy Corkrey was up next. I was hoping she wasn’t going to do that ridiculous dance with her arms as she sang. My dreams did not come true. I don’t get this girl. I don’t particularly like her voice. Here dancing is atrocious but she has a pretty look going in her favor. She sang KT Tunstall’s “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree” and I didn’t even think she did a good job at all. It was quite off pitch and not my cup of coffee (well, it should be tea but I’m a coffee drinker).

Von Smith was next to take the stage. He’s singing Elton John’s “Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word.” Von bores me. He’s so not Clay; he’s more putty. I can’t stand looking at his mouth when he sings. He opens is mouth so wide like he’s gonna take a huge bit out of a veal parm hero and belts these loud, obnoxious notes. Again, Von is Gone !

Next up is another early favorite, Jasmine Murray. She was great early on but her last song just stank like a bad stool sample. She chooses a tough song, “Reflection” by Christina Aguilara but this was too demanding of a song for Jasmine. I believe Jordan Sparks maybe could have pulled this song off but not Jasmine. Jasmine sounded more like Christina Ricci than Christina Aguilara. Just like Megan, the jury was out as to what the judges were going to do with one of their favorite wild cards.

Then, it was Ricky Braddy’s turn. He was the guy no one knew from Group #1 who should have advanced over Michael Sarver but didn’t. Now it was his chance to shine doing Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition.” I thought Ricky rocked it. He had a great, original voice, and could have probably advanced earlier if he had gotten more screen time. The judges were mixed on his performance so he was on the bubble at this point.

Not it was time, yes, it’s Tatiana Del Toro time. They made us wait almost until the end of purpose to see this train wreck of a girl sing and cry. And, for the 3rd time, she chooses Whitney Houston’s “Saving All My Love For You.” First of all, you should NEVER touch a Whitney Houston (or Celine Dion) song. Then, you need to show the judges that you can sing different types of songs as there are themes each week so the fact that she chose a song for the 3rd time was great as I knew that was going to piss someone off. Out of the hour show, she probably had at least 10 to 12 of the minutes talking, crying, and singing. Her singing was okay. I’ve heard worse but it was by no means worthy of going any further. This is the final stop on the T.T. – Tatiana Train. Choo-Choo!

Tatiana Del Toro has found love in singing and the world. She is ready to sing Whitney Houston’s “Saving All My Love for You.” Again. Not the best way to prove one’s worth. Anyway, it’s just as good as the first time. Still, I wouldn’t have picked the same song, especially when the performance wasn’t quite good enough the first time.

Before Paula can say anything, Tatiana thanks the judges for this second chance. Paula heard an accent she never heard before. Tatiana rambles something about Jorge. Be quiet for once, Tatiana. Anyway, Paula’s not a huge fan of repeaters. She says Tatiana started shaky, but she can still sing. Simon heard her sing that song three times now. When Tatiana makes an excuse about the repeat, Simon calls it “rubbish.” Tatiana keeps yapping about whatever. This is only an hour long, Tatiana. Shut up already!

Randy also believes Tatiana started rough, and the rest of the vocal was a mixed bag. Kara calls this “The Adventures of Tatiana,” as she showed another new personality, not crying and holding her heart this time. Once Ryan comes back out, there is something with Tatiana dropping to the floor. I just don’t get it anymore. Can we move on?

Finally, it’s time for Anoop Dawg. I was a bit disappointed that he sung Bobby Brown’s “My Perogative” for the second time but since I like Anoop, I’ll let it pass. I actually wished he would have chosen a slower song to show another side of him but he did a good job. I actually didn’t think it was his best performance but I still liked the guy.

Going into the night, I wanted Ricky Braddy, Anoop, and Matt Giraud to advance but I knew they were going to at least choose one girl who I believed would be Megan. I also have said that I thought we were going to have a Top 13 this year…yup who’s the Mack Daddy for calling that one (thank you…hold the applause.) My biggest fear was balancing out the sexes with it being 6 guys and 3 girls so far.

The judges first pick Jasmine Murray. Not sure why except for the fact that she’s female. She hasn’t been that good. Now I was upset as that meant that at least one of my three male picks was a goner; someone was going to get screwed. They next announce Megan as the next to make it. Okay, it looks like they are trying to balance out males to females as she didn’t deserve it either but you knew she was going to make it. Then, they bring out Anoop and Matt for the final spot. I turn to my wife and go, “Both are going to make it” and that’s what happened. Ricky got totally screwed but they did the right thing picking both. So, it’s still imbalanced with 8 guys and 5 girls but it will be more imbalanced next week when Jasmine goes home first.

So, that’s it…we have finally a Top 13. Now let’s get rid of at least 6 of them before the true competition begins.

Until next week…Birdman Out.

No comments: