Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Top 11 Perform: Country Week


Every year the producers of American Idol force us to suffer through country week. And this year, they made it worse by limiting the country music to those inducted into the Grand Ole Opry. First of all, I don't even like saying "Grand Ole Opry." Second, who cares? Third, I hate country music. As an old Jewish aunt would say, "Oye Vey."

Randy Travis, or Travis Trit, one of those clowns, was this weeks' mentor. He's a bit creepy looking huh? He's definitely a bit of an inbred right? Maybe not brothers and sisters mating but surely first cousins.

First up was Michael Sarver singing Garth Brooks' "Ain't Goin' Down (Til The Sun Comes Up)." The song has a tong of lyrics, it's fast paced and Michael was singing it as if he had marbles in his mouth. I agreed with Simon that I couldn't understand half of the words. He seems out of breath at points of the song, had zero stage presence, and if just felt like he was going thru the motions of getting the performance over with. What bothered me was that country music should put him in his element and I think he blew it since he was really the only country singer in the top 11. He's a candidate for the bottom 3.

Next at bat was Allison Irritating. She was performing Patty Loveless' "Blame It On Your Heart." Allison yelled most of the song as far as I'm concerned. There have been other female rockers in the past like Ryan Starr and Kimberly Caldwell that were much better than Allison and I didn't love Ryan or Kimberly either. Allison looks lost on stage. She can't dance or move around...she's just a red headed pig on stage that yells into the mic. She belongs singing in her basement where no one else has to listen to it as far as I'm concerned. I know most of you won't agree with me on here but I can't stand it. I'd take Amanda Overmeyer over Allison Irritating any day. Well, maybe not but it's a close call. I'm hoping she'll be in the bottom 3...PLEASE !

Then, Kris Allen hit the stage with Garth Brooks' "To Make You Feel My Love" and he did a solid performance. I was actually disappointed that he didn't bring out the guitar especially with it being country week. I thought the song was beyond boring but his voice was perfect. It actually worked in his favor to go guitarless to show off his voice. Kris was an unknown in the top 36 but he's finally getting his respect. (Note: I could have said "props" but I loathe that word.)

Lil Rounds was ready to go. In the past, it's always been tough for the R&B performer to thrive in country week. And, it happened again. How many black country stars can you name? Okay...I'm waiting. Just give me one name? Anything? I thought so. There are NONE. So, she really had to pick a song that was going to not sound too country but still show off her voice. She chose Martina McBride's "Independence Day." The song started off a bit rocky but once it picked up, you were able to hear that she has some great pipes. I thought Randy's comments were ridiculous saying that she could have sung "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton but if she had done that, it would have then become a Whitney Houston version and you just don't touch Whitney in this competition as you'll never sound better than her. It was definitely not Lil's week but let's hope that next week the theme better fits who she is.

One of the more interesting persons in this competition was next in Adam Lambert doing a Middle Eastern version of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire." First of all, once I heard he was doing something that sounded Egyptian with a sitar sound, I was worried. Then, to do a Johnny Cash song? Johnny Cash songs aren't really sung, they are spoken-sung slowly in a deep voice. Right off the bat, it was the wrong song choice. After one verse in, I was ready to slit my wrists. It was one of the most horrific performances in Idol History. It was up there with Sanjaya's "You Really Got Me" as painfully bad. I'd rather have diarrhea than ever have to sit through this performance again. I'm not sure what he was thinking. What he has in his favor is that people will remember the performance even though it was bad. Again, Adam can sing but everything is so over the top. I'm starting to think that he'll fall before the finals, maybe in that infamous 4 slot where we've lost Daughtry. If I hear anything like that again, he'll lose my votes.

One of my favorites was up next in blind guy - Scott MacIntyre. He picked an interesting song - Martina McBride's "Wild Angels" which is a chick song. What I liked is that when he performed, he made it not sound like a country song, sort of what Kris Allen did. It started off a bit shaky but mid-way through the song, Scott was back in his groove. It was not his best performance but then again, it wasn't many people's best performances on country night. What was bizarre was that Paula told him that she'd like to see him for once not with the piano. Huh? Paula, what would you like him to do? Dance around on the stage? The dude is blind. It seems like he's gonna listen to Simon and continue to sit at the piano until the time is right to do a song sans piano.

Alexis Grace was next to hit the stage. Her choice was Dolly Parton's "Jolene" which was beyond annoying when Brooke White sang that same song last year. The song has so little verse and it's just basically singing "Jolene, Jolene, Jolene" a zillion times. Plus, it was so slow and boring. For anyone who has trouble falling asleep, get rid of the Ambien and play this performance. Yes, I can't argue that Alexis has a nice voice but the performance was just off. I could smell bottom 3 for Ms Grace.

Projected winner, Danny Gokey, was up next doing a Carrie Underwood song - "Jesus, Take The Wheel." First of all, if you could pull it off, it's a smart song choice if a dude can pull off a chick song. Secondly, no one would EVER not vote for you singing a song about Jesus. Simon said it was a bit boring in the beginning and then he picked it up about midway through the song. I like when people do that if they do it right. Clay Aiken would always do that - start out slow and then midway - it was all energy and power. I thought Gokey did the same last night and it stood out as one of the better performances of the night. Again, it was still not his best. Plus, that white coat? Simon already based the coat so I guess there's not much more to say about it.

Anoop Dawg was up next. Will he have the Anoop Factor (A.F.) in his favor? He was singing Willie Nelson's "You Were Always On My Mind" and Anoop was back in his groove. His eyebrows were a bit thinner so someone must have pluked then down a bit. His voice was back. He sung a song that showed off his voice as opposed to the last two weeks that were very keroeke. Anoop will never win American Idol but he'll still ride that Slumdog Millionaire wave for a few more weeks until the bad singers are gone and then he can find himself in a bit of trouble. Anoop survives another week.

Oh, and then there was Megan Corkrey. Okay, I'm not sure where to begin. He face looked great; however, her outfit was unappealing. First of all, wear a bra. Secondly, that kind of dress doesn't look good when your entire arm is tattooed. She needs to wear long sleeves. We all know about her lack of dance moves. But the voice is horrific. She's a lounge singer at best and I don't understand how she's on the verge of the Top 10 and the judges just love this girl. Look at some of the bad singers that have made the Top 12 in the past - Melissa McGhee, Lisa Tucker, Ramiele Mulubay, Stefanie Edwards, Gina Glocksen, Jessica Sierra, Lindsey Cardinale, Julia Demato, Vanessa Oliverez, Amy Adams, Camielle Velasco, and Leah Labelle. I think Megan Corkrey is worse than all of them. Hell, I think there are some people in the early auditions that were better than this girl. I just don't get it. I'm actually repulsed by her voice or lack thereof. Plus, did she drop her last name again? I think she's Megan Joy. Once week she's Megan Joy Corkrey. Once week She's Megan Corkrey. Now she's Megan Joy. I guess that means next week she'll be Joy Corkrey. And I'll be in JOY if she's booted this week.

Finally, Matt Giraud had the chance to end the show which was a good sign. He was singing Carrie Underwood's "So Small" which, like Danny Gokey, was a dude singing an Underwood song. But, man, he pulled it off. He looks so comfortable at the piano and has such a soulful voice. I loved that it didn't sound a bit like a country song. I had Matt Giraud going to the Top 5 overall but if Lambert and Rounds continues to fall, he can make it even further. Again, he's a dark horse that is getting less dark with each solid performance.

So, what happens tonight. If I had to pick the three worst, I can't, so I'm gonna pick the 4 worst - Michael Sarver, Allison Irritating, Megan Joy, and Alexis Grace. Of this group, Alexis is the best singer so I'm gonna then go with Michael, Allison,and Megan for the bottom 3. I'd love it to be one of the girls. I think Michael has a stronger fan base which showed at the first group in the Top 36 so he could pull the upset sending Megan Joy home.

Well, that's it. Catch ya next week. Same Bird Time. Same Bird Channel. Birdman Out.

No comments: